Occasionally, I post my weekly meal plan in an attempt to keep myself on track with said meal planning. This week I’m a bit late in posting – it’s been somewhat hectic because I was in the city overnight on Tuesday to see Lionel Richie in concert. (Verdict: He’s still got it, and I still love it. Truly!) The recipe I have for broccoli quiche is super easy. It’s included below for your brunch-for-dinner enjoyment.
1. Beat together the following: 1 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 3 eggs.
2. Cut a small head of broccoli into small florets (about 2/3 cup). Blanch these in boiling water until bright green, about 2-3 minutes. Drain.
3. Chop 1/2 red onion and mince 1 clove garlic. Sauté the onion and garlic in 1 tsp olive oil over medium-low heat until the onions are translucent. Add cooked broccoli and mix well.
4. Grate 3/4 cup Swiss or jarlsberg cheese.
5. Put into a prepared pie crust in the following order: cheese, veggies, egg mixture. (Note: I purchase a bakery-prepared crust from Fresh Direct – it has no preservatives or hydrogenated fats. Many store-bought crusts are full of junk, so be sure to read labels if you’re trying to avoid junkiness.)
6. Bake in the center of the oven, preheated to 350 degrees, until the filling has set, about 30 minutes. If the crust starts to burn, cover with foil or one of these handy crust shields. (I’m not one for filling my kitchen with nice-to-have-but-unnecessary gadgets, but this one is worth it.)